Galbi Jjim is a korean dish using beef short ribs. Galbi means Short ribs. I thought it would be a good dish for this wintery day. The dish took about 1 hour to a day to prepare depending the way you cook it. But I promised you it worth all the time when you put those juicy and tender meat in your mouth! hehe.
- 500g Beef Short Ribs
- 500g Gravy beef / Chuck (Any Meat good for stew)
- 2 Carrot Sticks
- 2 Medium sized Potato
- 4-5 Pieces of dried Shitake mushroom
- 1/2 piece of Onion
- 6 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 3 Cups of Water
- 6 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2.5 Tbsp Corn Syrup
- 1.5 Tbsp Cooking wine
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1.5 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1. Soak the short ribs and Meat in cold water for 30mins
2. Prepare the rest of the ingredients while waiting. I mashed my garlic in Mortar & pestle, Chopped up the carrots and potatoes to chunky pieces
3. In a bowl, mix in the water, soy sauce, sugar, onion and mince garlic.
4. Don't forget to soak the Shitake mushroom in boiling water
5. After 30 mins under cold water, rinse the beef.
6. In boiling water, boil the beef for 10-15mins
7. Rinse again the beef in cold water to remove excess fat
8. Put the beef in a pan and pour in the water - soy sauce mixture along with the veggies.
9. Boil it for about 10mins then transfer it to slow cooker
10. Lastly, Pour in Corn syrup and sesame oil mixture + Salt and pepper
11. Cook for 5-7hours until half of the water evaporates and the meat is tender.
If you don't have a slow cooker, you can simmer it for an hour to 1.5 hours with lid closed and under low heat.
Enjoy with hot sticky steam rice! :)