Friday, August 22, 2014

Seven Lantern, Sylvania


Mr.M works as a chef in Seven lantern and invited me to come and enjoy their Degustation menu! I've been there before on Valentine's day last year but haven't got the chance to write a review of the place. So this time, I'll make sure I take a good pictures of the food and write a review!

If it wasn't for Seven Lantern, I think I will never visit Sylvania as it is quite far from where I live and I rarely hear anything exciting from that Suburb hehe.
Mr.M made the booking on Sunday cause that day is a more relaxing day so he can serve us fully and chat at the same time.

The design of the entrance looks like we're about to enter a Chinese Dynasty or something ;p


But inside is a modern table setting and decor, with few paintings on the wall and a good lightning.


The place have 2 floors but it is not so busy on Sunday so they close upstairs. The counter besides where bebski sits is the Teppan Station where Mr.M works those magic hands creating delicious foods for us.


To start with I order a cocktail called My Name is Ryan and I'm an Alcoholic , what a catchy name ;p It is actually a fresh strawberries and passion fruit based Sake Cocktail. It is sweet and refreshing, the alcohol note is not too overpowering.

$9
Then the Degustation starts of with Beef Tataki, fresh vegetables strips wrapped in a thinly sliced seared Angus Beef carpaccio drizzled with Nash Pear and Soy & Ginger reduction. I thought I wouldn't like them and Bebski was so ready to take it away from me but after a full bite of it, I was mesmerized by how flavourful the beef was with combination of those crunchy veggies and yummy dressing!


The second dish arrived, Chef's Selection - the dish differs every week depending on the outcome of 'conflict' between three chefs in the kitchen :) This time they serve a seared scallop with pea puree and topped with salmon roe. The scallop was fresh and cooked to perfection with some smokiness in it and complemented by that creamy puree, but one scallop is never enough for me! hahaha..


Third dish to come is the Huyau Pork, Crispy Pork Belly with Lemon, apple and Honey Fusion sour sauce and garnished with cold wasabi daikon. Those pork was just delish. Melts in the mouth and the crispy skin is a winner! I really can't get enough of the sauce as well, never tasted anything like that before, it made me salivate even more couldn't wait for the next dish to come!




Dish No.4 is the Tom Yum Salmon, The salmon was cooked to perfection and the tomyum sauce was tangy but I don't really get the idea of matching the two hehe.. To be honest it was an acquired taste for me but I don't mind trying new things together :)


The dish that Bebski and I was waiting for!! The Emperor's Prawn. Teppan grilled fresh King Prawn topped with a mixture of Japanese Mayo and Cheese Sauce and then blow torched to burnt brown! I can only say that the taste was just Divineeee ~~ I would really like to try making that mayo-cheese combo and blow torch it at home! And again, 1 is never enough for uss T.T It's just sooo gooooddd ~~


Next to come is a beef dish. You have a choice of Angus steak or Imperial Beef Rib but we are getting both! hehe. The Angus Steak was teppan grilled with butter, streaked with honey roasted soy sauce and served with steamed rice and teppan grilled veggies. The beef melts in the mouth and the sauce was just great!


The Imperial Beef ribs is made from Beef short ribs marinated overnight with garlic, shallot and sesame then cooked for hours in Soy reductions served with steamed rice as well. I meat was so tender and fell of the bone. The sauce however has a strong onion flavour and onion is never my friend so Bebski ended up cleaning the plate for me :) If you're wondering those 2 small balls, it was a carrot and a radish hehe!


Apart from the dishes that were included in the Degustation Menu, Chef M, aka my friend Mr.M gave us a couple of dishes from the A la carte menu such as this scrumptious Bork Goroke, Cream cheese encapsulated in garlic marinated mince beef and pork neck served with hoisin and gochujang sauce..


It was meaty and yet have that creaminess from the cheese, crunch from the veggies and tanginess from the sauce. A mouthful of pure yuminess! Would definitely back for this one little bomb! They sell it 4pcs for $17


Another dish that we got to taste is the Cuttlefish curls, the cuttlefish was lightly grilled on the teppan, dashed with their homemade Teriyaki sauce and served with a couple of heart-shaped potatoes :) The cuttlefish got that smokiness from the teppan and the sauce complemented it really well. From the A la carte menu, it costs $16 per plate.


A pic of Mr.M doing his thing while the other two kids were impressed by his skills hhehe


Finally, the dessert came! First let me describe this sexy Sticky date pudding. Warm, moist and springy pudding topped with fresh berries, covered in Caramel sauce and served with a dollop of creamy vanilla ice cream. A perfect dessert to end the night with smile :) Nothing beats a warm cake with ice cream!


Second dessert to come was Bebski's favourite and not mine cause it's all about chocolate. It was a Chocolate Mousse Fondue, the Mousse is made up from Belgian Belcolade Dark chocolate with creamy warm white chocolate sauce and shaved milk chocolate curls on the side. It is literally 3 types of chocolate in one plate ;p

Sometimes I'm glad that my palate is different from bebs so we don't have to fight over one dish! Well, pork belly is an exception though kekekke..


A pic with the chef of the night and the owner, David. He was a very nice and friendly guy. He will be in the restaurant almost everyday, going over to almost every table, greeting them and sometimes sits down chatting with them. He is a generous guy and always smile :) Mr.M always told me how fun his work place is and work almost never feels like work ;p


Picture compilation of the Degustation Set for the Valentine's Dinner back in Feb 2012/2013.


Overall, I had an amazing night with my friend, had alot of great foods and will definitely come back when they have a new Degustation menu :)
Thanks for the invite and hospitality Mr.M!!

Seven Lanterns on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time visiting my blog and commenting on my post :) Hope that we can exchange tips and be Friends ^^