Thursday, March 13, 2014

Indonesian Nasi Tim Ayam (Chicken Steam Rice)

Decided to write another recipes again today.. Another recipe from my grandma :) My mom used to pack this dish for me during my primary school. When I was a child, I hardly appreciate this dish as I got jealous when I saw my friends bought their food from the canteen while I'm stuck with this homemade food :p

As I grow older and move far away from home.. This kind of dish is the one that I miss the most ^^ So I asked my mom how to make it and now  the "bring-homemade-food-for-lunch" culture has passed down to me cooking it for my bf's lunch :)

As I made this long before I started my blog, I didn't took picture of the step-by-step way. But its pretty simple and taste great too ^^


Ginger Steam Rice:
  • 3 cups of jasmine uncooked jasmine rice
  • 3 tsp Chicken poweder
  • 5 slices of 1cm thick ginger
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 Tbsp oil
  • 4-5 Tbsp light soy sauce
  • 1 tsl sesame oil
Preparing the rice (I used rice cooker to make it easier):
  • Heat oil in pan, fry the ginger and garlic until fragrance.
  • In the rice cooker, wash rice well
  • Put in the water accordingly like when u make rice usually
  • Mix in chicken powder, soy sauce, sesame oil and the ginger garlic along with the oil
  • Season with a pinch or two of salt
For the Chicken Toppings:
  • Full chicken breast (~400g)
  • 1 canned of straw mushroom
  • 2 cm ginger
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
  • 2 tsp light soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • A pinch of chicken powder
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Corn starch to thicken the sauce slightly
Methods:
  • Heat up oil in pan
  • Fry the ginger and garlic til fragrance
  • Put in the chicken, cooked well
  • Mix in the mushroom
  • Mix in the sauces with sugar, chicken powder, salt and pepper.
  • Lastly with the ratio of 1:2 make up corn starch solution with water
  • Mix in the pan and let it thickens for awhile
For the soy egg, you can find the recipe here

Assembling:
  • In a small bowl, put 4-5 Tbsp of the chicken toppings at the bottom of the bowl. The amount may vary depending on how big your bowl is
  • Scoop the rice from the rice cooker and topped it up in the bowl. Make sure you pressed the rice down while you add to make sure it is tight and firm.
  • Leave it to cool
  • For immediate consumption, place a plate on top of the bowl and turn it upside down
  • Voila there you go!
I made a giant version of the Nati Tim for my lunch gathering at work.. I used a humongous bowl to assemlby and soy quial eggs for decorations :)


This dish is convenient if you are too lazy to prepare meals everyday. You can make big batch of it and put in a number of bowls and keep it in the fridge.^^.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time visiting my blog and commenting on my post :) Hope that we can exchange tips and be Friends ^^