Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Indonesian Sambal Prawn with Stinky Bean (Petai)

This dish is my old time favourite to be enjoyed with hot steam rice :) Sometimes instead of prawn I used deep fried boiled eggs ^^ My mom teach me how to make this and I improvised a bit according to my taste buds :)

Petai or Pete is a long flat plans that has edible beans along the plants. Some people said that the beans has some bitterness to it but to me I barely taste any bitter note when eating them. But the definite thing is that you mouth and pee with stink after consuming this! Pete plant looked like the pic below

This Picture does not belong to me. Source here

Unfortunately in Australia I can't get the fresh ones so I have to buy the frozen one which taste so much different. The flavor is more over powering and really stinks for me!


Ingredients:

  • 2 medium french shallot
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 long red chilli
  • 5 small hot chilli (Amount can be adjusted depending on spicy level)
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Stinky beans
  • 300g Peeled prawns
Methods:
  • Blend the chilli, garlic, shallot 
  • Heat oil in pan
  • Fry the blend spices until fragrance
  • set Aside
In other pan:
  • Heat oil in pan
  • Fry the Prawn til it changes colour
  • Put in stinky beans
  • Cook for 3-4mins
  • Put in the spices
  • Seasoned well with salt pepper and sugar
Serve with hot steam rice :)

Happy Eating ^^

6 comments:

  1. hi where do u buy the frozen ones in sydney?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hellow there.. U can find it in most of Oriental Supermarket.. Mostly in Kingsford, Maroubra and Randwick area..

      Delete
  2. Nice information you have shared ! Definitely i will try to make at home http://sambalbajak.com/sambal/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Do u try it and let me know how it goes :)

      Delete
  3. Hi. Do you know where can i find iint Paramatta area? I really miss petai very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daigoro.. I rarely go to Paramatta so I wouldn't know .. But if you go to the city, I guess u can try Miracle supermarket in World Square.. They should have it :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time visiting my blog and commenting on my post :) Hope that we can exchange tips and be Friends ^^